Andreas S. Weigend, Ph.D.
Dr. Andreas Weigend is an expert in measuring user behavior and in leveraging the fundamental principles underlying human communication. He helps his clients understand how they can fully utilize data and shows them how to respond to the most important web and mobile trends of today's fast changing world. He was the chief scientist of Amazon.com, and now works with exciting, innovative startups and with the leaders of visionary multinationals. He also teaches at Stanford, Berkeley and Tsinghua/INSEAD, and is a sought-after speaker at international events and conferences.
Currently in California. Please call me or text me at +1 650 906-5906. Thanks!
[Feb 22 2008] http://scpd.stanford.edu/webinar/ is the link to register for the Stanford webcast this Tuesday 10AM on "The New Consumer Data Revolution":
Platforms like Facebook empower individuals to contribute a wide variety of both quantitative and qualitative data: transactions, social relations, attention gestures, and more.
Join the discussion about recent uses of such data, from social recommendations to behavioral targeting. Discover the implications for data mining and e-business.
[Feb 15 2008] I am back from Helsinki (Itella, Nokia, and Frugoo), now in New York Feb 13-16, then back in San Francisco. I just talked at Burda's Digital Life Design conference (DLD08) in Munich about Innovation in Digital China. Recent other talks were at O'Reilly's Web2.0 Expo in Berlin and at SIME07 in Stockholm (mp3s) . I've also put up a conversation with Christian Pirkner (13 min) that took place in Zurich in December, and gave a lecture for the Tsinghua/INSEAD program, The Impact of Web2 on the Enterprise.
Upcoming: Itinerary (AYOR, as plain text)
Contact: Addresses (yes, physical!) and phone numbers including time zones Consulting (selection): Alibaba | Match.com | MySpace | Otto | SWISS |Yahoo | Zazzle || More clients... Advising (current): Agoda | Attensa |Cleverset | Imageloop | Nugg.ad | SharedCopy | ShopFlick | Socialight | Technorati | Yobo Teaching: Stanford (Stat/MS&E, Spring 2008) wiki 2007| Berkeley (MBA, Apr 2008) | Tsinghua/INSEAD (EMBA, Mar 2008) || Other... Bio: Text (200 words) | Resume (3 pages) | Chinese (1 page) || Books | Publications DBLP Discover:
- Some interviews
- Wir leben alle von unserem guten Ruf pdf (in German, Fincancal Times Deutschland, May 2007). By Andreas Kurz.
- Das soziale Netz: Interview "Ein riesiges Verhaltenslabor" pdf (in German, SZ Wissen, Dec 2006). By Philip Wolff. ("Social networks, and amazing behavioral laboratory")
- Das E-Business wird Me-Business [high-res] (in German, AMICA, Oct 2006). By Anne Urbauer. ("From E-Business to Me-Business")
- Ich bin, also tagge ich (in German, FOCUS, Oct 2006). By Ruth Henke. ("I am, therefore I tag")
- Music in the digital age (Knowledge@Wharton, Feb 2006)
- Wir wissen es nicht. Aber wir können es messen. (in German, GDI Impuls, Herbst 2005). We don't know. But we can measure it. (English translation). By Stefan Kaiser.
- I search, therefore I am (in English, SAS Magazine, Spring 2005), Ich suche, also bin ich (in German, FOCUS, Oct 2004), 我搜故我在 (in Chinese). By Jochen Wegner.
- 数字化生存 [doc] [pdf] Digital Nomad (in Chinese, 我搜故我在 Modern Weekly, Apr 2006) . By Chen Jun.
- TV and Video:
- Menschen bei Maischberger (cached) ARD, German TV Channel One (Feb 14, 2006)
- Digital Lifestyle Day Hubert Burda Media (Jan 23, 2006)
- people & data (a.k.a. Weigend Associates LLC, weigend.com) conspicuously posted license
- Amazon.com, Chief Scientist (2002-2004); ShockMarket, Chief Scientist, MoodLogic, Co-founder (1999-2001)
- New York University (Stern School of Business), Associate Professor of Information Systems (1997-2000)
- University of Colorado at Boulder, Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Cognitive Science (1993-1996)
- Xerox PARC, Member of Research Staff (1991-1993)
- Stanford University, Ph.D. in Physics (1991)
[Jun 13 2007] Just finished teaching this year's Data Mining and Electronic Business at Stanford. Please explore the course wiki, listen to some podcasts, view a video, and check out course evaluations and official comments. Since students (especially SCPD) preferred this year's format of one 3-hour class each week over more shorter meetings, we plan to keep it for Spring 2008: Probably Monday afternoon 3:15pm - 6:05pm, Gates B03, with first class Apr 7, 2008, last class Jun 2, 2008, and exam by Jun 11, 2008.
- Stanford University: Data Mining and Electronic Business wiki MS&E238/Stat252 (next: Spring 2008)
- Hass School of Business, University of California at Berkeley: Marketing in Web2.0 EWMBA267-4 (next: April 2008)
- INSEAD/Tsinghua University: The Digital Networked Economy: Information Management, Strategy, and Innovation (next: March 2008)
- Previous positions included
- University of Washington, Affiliate Professor of Statistics (2003-2006)
- National University of Singapore, Visiting Professor of Information Systems (2004-2006)
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Visiting Professor, Antai School of Management. Quantitative Methods (most recent course: Jan 2004), Electronic Commerce (most recent course: Oct 2005)
- Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business (most recent course: Jan 2005)
- China-Europe International Business School (CEIBS) (most recent course: Nov 2002)
- I am also teaching in the executive education programs of
- University of St. Gallen (most recent: Nov 2007)
- Babson College (most recent: Sep 2005)
- Copies of previous web sites include
- Oct 2-5, 2008 Washington, DC | Frontiers in Service: "The Business of Customer Data: Who pays who?"
- Jul 21-23, 2008 Half Moon Bay, CA | FortuneBrainstorm.com/Tech
- May 27-8, 2008 San Jose, CA | Almaden Institite: "Innovating with Information"
- Mar 9, 2008 Austin, TX | SxSW: "The Science of Designing Interactions"
- Jan 21, 2008 Munich | Digital Life Design DLD08: "Giants Awake: Innovation in Digital China"
- Nov 26, 2007 Berlin | Die ZEIT & Robert Bosch Stiftung: "Conversational Marketing: Das Web als Ort des Dialogs"
- Nov 16, 2007 Stockholm | Incordia: "E-Business, Me-Business, and We-Business: The Impact of Social Media" 39-min mp3
- Nov 15, 2007 Stockholm | SIME07: Privacy?!?, with Dave Holtzman
- Nov 6-8, 2007 Berlin | Web2.0 Expo
- Marketing 2.0: Get Conversational!, with Darryl Feldman and Wolfgang Lünenbürger-Reidenbach
- Trends in E-Commerce and the Widgetization of the World, with Mehrdad Piroozram
- People & Data: How Gathering, Using and Selling of Data is Changing, with Jonathan Laventhol
- Metrics and Analytics for Web2.0, with Christian Sauer and Sam Yagan
- May 3, 2007 Helsinki | Itella: "Feedback Marketing" mp3(talk) mp3 (Q&A part1) mp3 (Q&A part2)
- Apr 25-26, 2007 Mainz | Co-chair of Web 2.0 Kongress 2007: "Social Search, Collective und Competitive Intelligence" mp3, discussion Pirkner/Weigend: mp3 video
- Mar 28, 2007 Köln | Tag des Wirtschaftsjournalismus: "Von Zielgruppen zu Spielgruppen: Das Web als soziales Medium"
- Mar 24, 2007 Singapore |Nexus 2007: "The Future of the Web" blog web-mentions
- Jan 29-30, 2007 Zürich | Thought leader at GDI: (Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute) "Mapping Marketing 2.0"
- Dec 20, 2006 Singapore |The Digital Movement: "From E-Business to Me-Business"
- Nov 16, 2006 Copenhagen | Danish E-Business Association and JupiterResearch: "Social Search, Discovery and the Long Tail"
- Oct 10-11, 2006 Offenbach | Co-chair of Web 2.0 Kongress: "Web2.0: A basis for innovation and business?"pdf SpiegelTV 3Sat and "Web3.0: Wie geht's weiter?"
- Sep 27-28, 2006 Mainz | Business Intelligence 2006: "The predictive enterprise: Creating transparency and making decisions" pdf
- Sep 20-21, 2006 Düsseldorf | OMD (Online Marketing): "Von Targeting zu Discovery: Transparenz und Konvergenz im Web 2.0" video of keynote (wmv)
- Sep 8-10, 200k6 Berlin | IFA Convention: "Discovery in the Digital Universe", and "Soziale Netzwerke und die Ökonomie der Aufmerksamkeit: Wie das Aal-Prinzip die Welt verändert"
- Aug 30 - Sep 1, 2006 Vienna | Bertelsmann's Mastering Paradigm Shifts in Marketing: "Participation, Interaction and Discovery in the Networked Attention Economy" transcript mp3
- May 23, 2006 Minneapolis | Statistical Challenges in E-Commerce Research Symposium: "The Importance of Web2.0/3.0 for E-Business" transcript mp3 part1 mp3 part2
- May 22, 2006 Chicago | Retail Systems: "Commerce in the Age of Web 2.0/3.0" transcript mp3 part1 mp3 part2 mp3 part3
- May 11, 2006 Hamburg | SinnerSchrader: "E-Business: The next 10 years" blog
- Feb 16-17, 2006 Barcelona | Ogilvy GSM Conference: "Intention, Attention, and Interaction"
- Feb 13-14, 2006 Düsseldorf | Global Retail Technology Forum: "The Future of Discovery"
- Feb 6-9, 2006 Köln | Customer 2006: "Der aktive Kunde im Web: Chancen nutzen, Risiken managen"
- Nov 25, 2005 Madrid | Instituto de Empresa Business School: "Engaging Customers to Create Value"
- Nov 18, 2005 Berlin | Inaugural Speech at Interdisciplinary Center for Ubiquitous Information: "Das Aal Prinzip: Andere arbeiten lassen"
- Nov 2, 2005 Singapore | INSEAD Entrepreneurship Keynote: "Web 2.0: Getting Users to Participate"
- Sep 22, 2005 Tokyo | Keynote at Retail Technology Summit Tokyo
- Sep 19, 2005 Kiwah Island, SC | Diamond Cluster Summit (Diamond Exchange): "Agility Through Fast Feedback"
- Sep 8, 2005 Wellesley, MA | Babson Executive Education E-Business Thought Leadership: "Discovering the Long Tail"
- Aug 22, 2005 Göteborg, Sweden| Keynote at Dialogkonferansen
- Jun 1-3, 2005 Berlin, Germany | Keynote at BVM Jubiläumskongress: "Klicks, Blogs und Tags: Perspektiven für die Marktforschung"
- May 27, 2005 Bilbao, Spain | Lecture at The Guggenheim: "The Attention Economy"
- May 19-20, 2005 Zürich, Switzerland | Keynote at GDI (Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute) : "To Buy or Not to Buy — Experiments in the Multi-channel World"
- Mar 21-23, 2005 Zürich, Switzerland | Keynote at GOR - General Online Research Conference: "People and Data"
- Feb 17, 2005 Minneapolis, MN | Carlson School, U of Minnesota: "Marketing in the Search Society"
- Feb 8, 2005 San Francisco, CA| Technology Transfer Institute / Vanguard: "All That Data..."
- Jan 8, 2005 Shanghai, China | Tongji University: "The Search Society — Die Gesellschaft auf der Suche"
- Dec 25, 2004 Shanghai, China | JiaoTong University: E-business in China: Jack Ma and Andreas Weigend
- Oct 18-19, 2004 Las Vegas, NV | Keynote at M2004 (SAS Conference on Data Mining): "People and Data: Understanding Customer Behavior"
- Sep 29, 2004 Berkeley, CA | Distinguished Lecture at SIMS
- Sep 27-28, 2004 Palm Desert, CA | Keynote at Computerworld Business Intelligence Perspectives
- Jul 21-22, 2004 San Francisco, CA| Frontiers in Distributed Information Systems
- Jun 24, 2004 Chemnitz, Germany | Keynote at Data Mining Cup 2004 (Abstract)
- Nov 6, 2003 Berlin, Germany | Keynote at Internetökonomie: "E-Commerce 2020: Perspectives from Business — Visions for Research"
- Aug 26, 2003 Washington, DC | Invited talk at KDD-2003 (cached) (ACM Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining)
- Aug 1, 2003 Toronto, Canada | Co-organized SIGIR workshop "Implicit Measures of User Interests and Preferences"(cached)
by | +1 (917) 697-3800 | www.weigend.com